GCBR Position: Programme Development Specialist
Reporting to the Chief Executive, responsible for project development, grant prospecting, innovation and acquisition and quality of reporting.
R480 000 per annum based in Riversdale/Mossel Bay
Gouritz Cluster Biosphere Reserve requires the services of an individual who will secure funds to continue existing projects and starting new ones which is an important element of this function. Doing so means keeping abreast with what is going on in terms of innovations that counter biodiversity loss as well as tracking ways of improving socio-economic gains for the domain’s population through eco-enterprise and in other ways. These requirements are part of a critical agenda to reduce dependency on any one major source of finance. While GCBR’s funding situation is positive, there is a recognition that this situation must not lead to complacency. Instead, recruitment to this position is seen as an opportunity to ensure that, in the long term, the high quality programme development capacity needed for diversifying resources is assured.
Typical tasks and responsibilities are:
- Proactive scanning of public and private donor landscape and funding opportunities compatible with GCBR’s mission, identity and strategy.
- Grant prospecting and crafting of project proposals matched to funding opportunities.
- Consultative identification of project opportunities and development of project concepts appropriate to GCBR’s long-term programme vision.
- Applying strong conceptual and analytic ability to high quality project design and proposal writing with a socio-ecological interface.
- Updating knowledge about and familiarity with the donors’ systems and requirements.
- Donor liaison and ‘management’.
- Reducing dependency on any dominant funding source, assessed by suitable diversification and expansion of GCBR’s portfolio of projects, partners and resource streams.
- Applying an integrated approach to GCBR’s programme thinking, particularly when advising staff and partners on project implementation.
- Monitoring project implementation and reporting against agreed performance measures.
- Familiarity with (corporate) social eco-investment engaging with Gouritz Enterprises in a long term goal of evolving the GCBR into a self-reliant social enterprise.
- Active engagement in knowledge networks relevant to the GCBR’s mission and practices.
- Engaging with funder’s demands a strong commitment to the GCBR’s mandate, ethos and identity as a civic driven organisation. In this sense, the writing of high quality proposals must be matched by good inter-personal and communication skills.
- Detailed information about the GCBR can be found at www.gouritz.com with additional background at http://gouritz.com/file/repository/GCBR_recruitment_background.pdf
- Employment conditions to be negotiated.
- It would be expected of candidates to be subjected to thorough evaluations. Previous and current employers and references will be contacted. Verification will be done on his/her qualifications, criminal- and credit record. The candidate will be required to disclose all financial interests. Original qualification certificates must be produced at any resultant interviews.
- Applications should be based on a written motivation of maximum 2 pages. Concentrating on achievements, this document should set out a compelling case for interview accompanied by supporting documents, such as a curriculum vitae, independent references (including their e-mail addresses), samples of written work, links to video clips and whatever else helps demonstrates suitability for the post. Of particular interest is information that communicates the sort of outcomes of relevance to the GCBR’s goals that qualifications and experience have generated.
- All application materials must be submitted electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
CLOSING DATE: Friday, the 19th of January 2018.
Please note: Short-listed applicants will be informed of the outcome of the selection process on completion thereof. The Board reserves the right not to make an appointment.