Dr Steve R du Toit
After military service and traveling overseas, Steve studied marine biology at the University of Port Elizabeth.
Steve completed an MSc and PhD, focusing on hypersaline environments.
He worked for the Department of Environmental Affairs and Development Planning from 2000 to 2005. It was a period of intense development in South Africa and resulted in pressure on natural ecosystems; Steve learned the value of ensuring that environmental impacts are carefully considered during the planning phase of development activities.
He joined the Wildlife and Environment Society in 2005, continuing advocacy work and contributing to numerous public participation processes.
In conjunction with the (then fledgling) Gouritz Cluster Biosphere Reserve, Steve managed the Jobs for Carbon project.
His work as Chief Executive involves, among other duties:
• Sustaining an inclusive, reflective organisational culture;
• Supporting a strong Board of Directors while building board involvement with field operations;
• Ensuring consistent quality of finance, administration, fundraising and communications;
• Coaching, developing and retaining GCBR’s high-performance senior management team; and
• Overseeing rigorous programme/ project learning and evaluation.