- This event has passed.
Erosion Control Training
Sep 3 @ 8:00 am - Sep 6 @ 5:00 pmR1400
The Van Wyksdorp Development Institute has received funding from the Gouritz Cluster Biosphere Reserve to conduct training on their behalf.
As such the training courses on offer are subsidised substantially and include accommodation and meals. The cost is subsidised to 80% of the total training cost, and learner will be responsible for 20% of the cost.
This course will benefit persons who needs to implement the knowledge and skills they were taught on the course. The practical training includes physical labour.
Our next course on offer is: EROSION CONTROL AND MANAGEMENT.
Duration: 4 Days from 08:00 till 17:00 daily
When: Tuesday 3 September to Friday 6 September 2019
Where: Riversdale, Western Cape.
Evaluation on competency will be done during and after the course. To receive the subsidy, employers must agree that practical intervention to control erosion will take place within 3 months after the course and will allow a VDI representative to conduct an evaluation at the workplace.
The cost for this course is only R1400-00 (One thousand Four Hundred Rand), and includes accommodation, meals and course material.
We have farmers, business owners, municipalities and individuals whom sponsor individuals to attend these courses.
Please book as soon as possible as space is limited. Contact Gerhardt Oosthuizen on e-mail: email@example.com or 083 310 6501
Please see below Annexure for more information on the course.
- Introduction to soil erosion control:
- Causes of soil erosion such as deforestation, ploughing, overgrazing, fires, roads and paths.
- Implementing control actions preventing further erosion, and includes; eliminating the causes, slowing down the speed of waterflow, and establishing a plant cover.
- Control Methods:
- Understanding the different methods available such as hollows/pits, erosion control fences, stone gabions, reshaping gulley systems and other cost-effective methods to prevent erosion.
- Use of mulches and groundcovers as control method and include the use of geotextiles, brush packing, wood chip mulches.
- Below ground rehabilitation:
- Understand how to restore soil health, soil organisms, humus and moist retention.
- Establishment of plants on control sites:
- Know what species to use, plant types, planting methods and seedling protection
- Monitoring and evaluation:
- Understanding importance of monitoring, monitoring methods, and frequency of monitoring.
After the training course, the learner will be able to:
- recognise accelerated soil erosion and will know what causes it.
- determine what kind of method to use for each kind of soil erosion
- know how to prevent soil erosion from occurring in relation to farming, roads and grazing.
- know how to assess soil erosion and where control actions need to be initiated.
- understand the relationship between veld condition, rainwater infiltration, grazing management and soil erosion.
One day theoretical training and three (3) days practical training in the veld.
For more detail contact Gerhardt Oosthuizen at firstname.lastname@example.org or 083 310 6501